U.S. Capitol Faces Another Attack

Samantha Elkins, Multimedia Video Editor

On Friday, Apr. 2, a vehicle drove into the North Barricade outside the U.S. Capitol, killing one officer and injuring another. The U.S. Capitol Police shot and killed the suspect.

Following the riots on Jan. 6 that killed five and injured many, security increased around the Capitol premises. Last Friday at 1 p.m., the Capitol went under lockdown and police instructed staff to stay away from windows. The National Guard deployed soldiers to guard the Capitol grounds following the attack. It remains unclear how long they plan to remain there. 

The suspect, 25-year-old Noah Green, crashed his car into the barricades and officers before exiting the car holding a knife. Capitol Police shot and killed Green after he lunged at an officer. The Metropolitan Police Department, U.S.Capitol Police and the Federal Bureau of Investigation continue to investigate the incident as a homicide and not a terrorism related incident. 

Officer William “Billy” Evans, an 18 year U.S. Capitol Police veteran, died from the car’s impact. The other officer, who officials have not identified, remains in stable condition. Under President Joseph Biden’s orders, all flags at federal buildings flew at half mast to honor Evans. Biden and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi released statements stating their condolences for Evans and his family. 

Officials have confirmed the following, but officials have not identified a clear motive yet. Green’s Facebook account showed his support for Minister Louis Farrakhan, the radical and divisive leader of the Nation of Islam. Officials have found no clear tie to Green’s support of Farrakhan to the attack and removed Green’s social media accounts as of Friday. Just two hours before he rammed his blue sedan into the barricade, he posted links to Farrakhan speeches on his Instagram story.

Green also made posts about the U.S. government and his belief that they exerted “mind control” to target him. Green also posted about his personal struggles during the COVID-19 pandemic, and officials confirmed he suffered from delusions, paranoia and suicidal thoughts. Green’s family members have released statements that he may have suffered head trauma from playing football for many years. 

The investigation remains ongoing.